As we know bitter gourd reduces high blood sugar and prevent diabetic complications, bitter gourd is a very very healthy food. All over the world people have different method of cooking bitter gourd such as adding yogurt or removing its seed so that the bitter gourd tastes less bitter.But I think bitter is a flavor which is missing from our regular food. Add slight bitter flavor to your meal.
- 250g of bitter gourd
- 1 onion
- A ladle of cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp of split black gram
- 1 1/2 tsp of red chilly powder
- 1 1/2 tsp of coriander powder
- 2 cloves of garlic
- coriander leaves and curry leaves
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- And don't forget salt
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and split black gram and allow it to splutter.
- Add crushed garlic, curry leaves and fry it for a minute.
- Now add chopped onions and chopped bitter gourd and saute bitter gourd for 5 minutes.
- Then reduce the flame and let the bitter gourd cook for another ten minutes.
- Flip the bitter gourd once every minute.
- At this stage add red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix everything gently for five minutes
- Garnish the bitter gourd with coriander leaves.
Mix with hot rice and taste it. Bitter gourd fry can be served as a side dish for any variety rice or gravy rice.
Always select bitter gourds which are perfect6ly green. Bitter gourd should never be yellow.
Use small bitter gourds as they tend to be less bitter in taste compare to the big ones. If the bitter gourds are very small, just split them in half. If they are slightly bigger slice them into three or four pieces.
Have you ever tasted anything which is bitter and tasty at the same time?