Today we are going to see how to prepare plantain poriyal. Plantain poriyal reminds me, the belief of my mother. Every new moon day, she used to prepare plantain in one form or the other. When I asked her why she was doing so, she told me that plantain is cooked to honor our ans esters and makes them happy and just cooking the plantain is not enough, we must give it the needy. Frankly I don't get this point but I like plantain. So I don't question her.Lets just get to it.
- 3 plantains
- 2 Onions
- 1 ladle of cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp of split black gram
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2tsp of Red chilly powder
- 1 1/2 tsp of coriander powder
- 1 tsp of fennel seeds
- curry leaves and coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and split black gram and wait till it crackle.
- Then add crushed garlic.
- Add chopped onions and peeled and diced plantain and cook it in the simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt and saute it for 5 minutes.
- Finally add fennel seeds powder and cook the plantain for another minute.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves.
It is a suitable side dish for rice with gravy such as vendhaya kuzhambu, sambar,
mochai payaru kuzhambu,
When you cut plantain, apply a little oil on your hands to avoid stains.
Don't wait till the next new moon day.