Recently when I googled the benefits of mutton liver, I found it has a lot of benefits. To make it short, mutton liver is rich in Vitamin A, Proteins and iron. In southern Tamil Nadu, it is a practice to give mutton liver fry as a post delivery food of young mothers. So I thought of sharing mutton liver fry recipe with you all today.
- 500g of mutton liver
- 4 Onions
- 1 ladle of cooking oil (Preferably gingili oil)
- A pinch of mustard seed
- 1 1/2 tsp of black pepper powder
- 1 1/2 tsp of cumin seed powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seed and wait till it splutters.
- Add chopped onions and fry it till it becomes golden brown
- Wash and cut the mutton liver in to small pieces and add them with the fried onions.
- Let the mutton liver cook in simmer for ten minutes. Flip the mutton liver gently for every minute.
- Add black pepper powder, cumin seed powder, turmeric powder and salt in this stage
- Cook the mutton liver for another five minutes and remember to flip the mutton liver once every minute.
- Garnish the mutton liver as you please. I have garnished the mutton liver with a tomato rose.
You may find it delicious when the mutton liver fry is mixed with the boiled rice.
You could also roll the mutton liver fry in a chappathi or dosa and the mutton liver fry is a good side dish for dosa and uthappam. My niece likes sandwich with the mutton liver fry as filling.
Instead of big onions, use sambar onions (the small ones). They give the mutton liver a distinguished taste. Always wash the mutton liver before cutting it, else risk loosing some of its health benefits. Don't over cook the liver. If you do, the liver will become hard.
Next time when you go butcher, remember to buy mutton liver and enjoy this recipe.