Fish Curry is a popular recipe in South India. It is always cooked with the tamarind and chilli powder.It goes well with rice, iddli or dosa. Usually Fish Curry will be tastier on the next day of the gravy prepared. So we may store it in a refrigerator and consume it in the next day also.
Health benefits of fish:
All of us know that fish is a protein rich food. Eating fish is a main source of omega 3 fatty acids which helps us to maintain healthy heart and brain.Decrease the depression and reduce the risk of arthritis.
My suggestion for the non veg food lovers is to consume more fish food than chicken or mutton to get a healthy heart and a brain. Lets check out the recipe.
- Mullet / Madavai fish 500 g
- Gingelly oil 2 ladles
- Mustard seed 1 tsp
- Fenugreek 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes 3
- Tamarind extract ( Lemon sized)
- Red chilli powder 2 tsp
- Coriander powder 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Small onion / Sambar onion 150g
- Cumin powder 2 tsp
- Clean the fish by sprinkling some salt over it and rinse them well.
- Grind cumin and onions and keep it aside.
- Heat the gingelly oil in a pan and add mustard seed and let it splutter.
- Add fenugreek and fry till golden brown. Add tomato pieces.
- Saute them for two minutes and add turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook the tomatoes till it become soft.
- Add the ground paste of onion and cumin powder.
- Saute it continuously for five minutes to get rid of the raw smell.
- Now add the tamarind extract, red chilli powder, coriander powder and sufficient water. Mix them well.
- Bring it to boil. Reduce the flame. Cook the gravy in a low flame for 30 minutes.
- Then add the fish pieces and cook them in a low flame for ten minutes.
- Garnish it as you wish.
- Now the tasty Mullet Fish Curry is ready to serve.
- Serve this Fish Curry with steamed rice, iddli or dosa. I love to have it with hot rice.
- Use always small onions and gingelly oil to make Fish Curry more tasty.
Happy cooking! keep smiling!!